Monday 11 May 2009

What does the "CD" of "CD4" stand for?

It stands for cluster of differentiation.

If you want to want to identify leukocytes, you can start by simply looking at them.  Often the differences are quite obvious.  For instance, to the trained eye, a neutrophil

looks nothing like a lymphocyte.


Sometimes things aren't so clear, however.  How do you tell a B lymphocyte from a T lymphocyte on microscopy?  You can't.  Furthermore, what if the cells are abnormal, or immature, as happens in haematological malignancies? 


In such cases, it's often very helpful to know the parentage of the cells of interest, and so you need to move beyond light microscopy.  One fruitful avenue to try is to look at what cell surface molecules the cells are carrying.  For instance, B lymphocytes express a different set than T lymphocytes do.  Even if a malignancy produces highly abnormal looking cells, you can often still trace its ancestry by looking for 'B cell-type' surface molecules.   This has great clinical relevance too; for instance, certain types of chemotherapy are only effective against B cell-derived malignancies.

These cell surface molecules do a wide assortment of things.  Many act as receptors, or ligands, while others have no discernible function as yet.  Whatever their day jobs, these molecules have been catalogued (for leukocytes).  Each molecule is given a number, preceded by the letters CD, or cluster of differentiation.

As an example, almost all leukocytes express CD45.  To distinguish between a B and a T lymphocyte, you need only consult the relevant table: B lymphocytes express CD19 or CD20, whereas T lymphocytes express CD3 (amongst others).

The cell surface markers are usually tested for by sending a sample (blood, bone marrow, CSF - any fluid with cells in it) for flow cytometry.

2 comments:

  1. I'M TOTALLY FREE FROM HERPES VIRUS
    Herpes is a serious and recurrent condition that cannot be cured by drugs or injections by US doctors, but the best way to fight against herpes is to take natural herbal remedies, I red about DR JAMES, the great herbalist who cures people of herpes virus with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to find out how he could help me and he told me never to be afraid that he would help me with the natural herbs medicine! After 2 days of contacting him he told me the medicine is ready and he sent it to me via DHL COURIER SERVICE and it got me in 3 days! I used the medication as he prescribed for me (MORNING and EVENING) and was cured! It's really like a dream, but I'm so happy! For people suffering from the following diseases,Diabetes, cancer,Pcos, hypothyroidism, Herpes, COPD, HIV, arthritis, Hpv, infections, liver disease, autoimmune diseases, Parkinson's disease, Lupus and more should contact him for his herbal medicine, because I am a living witness and I was cured of herpes virus. and DR James medicine is legitimate. I sent him what he asked for and he sent me his medication which I took for 2 weeks and today I am here with a negative result. When I went for the test, I was so happy after I took his herbal mix medicine.CONTACT DR JAMES FOR A PERMANENT CURE Email: drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


  2. I was diagnosed of parkinson disease 5 years ago,i started azilect,then mirapex as the disease progressed in february last year,and i started on parkinson disease herbal medicine from ultimate life clinic,few months into the treatment i made a significant recovery,almost all my symptoms are gone,great improvement with my movement and balance,it been a year and life has been so good for me,reach them through there website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete