Tuesday 29 April 2008

What diagnoses should you consider in a patient with a chronic cough and a normal chest X-ray?

That's a nice question. I think the best place to start is to try to remember the common causes of a chronic cough, which is defined as a cough lasting more than three weeks.

Briefly, if the patient is a smoker, always think of:
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • Lung cancer

On the other hand, if the patient isn't a smoker, think mainly of:

  • Postnasal drip syndrome
  • Asthma
  • Gastroesophageal reflux

And for either category, remember to ask the patient whether or not they're using an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor (e.g. for hypertension, cardiac failure or diabetes). This is a also a common cause of a chronic cough.

Of these, the 'non-smoker' three, plus the ACE inhibitor one, are the commonest causes of a chronic cough with a normal chest X-ray. The 'smoker' two are more likely to give you an abnormal X-ray, but in their earliest stages, their changes might not be apparent radiologically.

As I said, I'm deliberately only concentrating on the commonest causes. If none of these seem to fit, I'd ask for expert (i.e. pulmonologist) assistance. But that's just me...

1 comment:

  1. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine,I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituahebalcenter.com. Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete