Tuesday 28 August 2007

Feature: The Nervous System

The brain has long been a fascination of mine; to me personally, it seems to outstrip all other organs in its complexity. I can only but agree with my one lecturer's rhetorical question, "How can you compare the kidney with the brain?"

This section will expand shortly, I promise, but for now we've just gotten started with the anatomy of a neuron(e), which was followed by how its resting membrane potential is established. Again, this is no rehash of textbooks; here more than ever it is important not to get bogged down in the details of how the brain happens to be structured. Instead (and I can't emphasise it enough) we should rather ask, "Why would the brain be structured in this manner?" The former is largely about the mindless storage of facts, the latter is about understanding.

In this light, I've completed a post on reflexes - not only what they are, but why we have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment